05 January 2011

Дуейн Мичълс / Duane Michals




Magritte with Hat

"When people ask me what I am, I tell them I'm the artist formally known as a photographer," says Michals when describing his creative position in life. "I am an expressionist and by that I mean I'm not a photographer or a writer or a painter or a tap dancer, but rather someone who expresses himself according to his needs." He has often found himself an outsider in the photographic universe that he finds dull and uninspired. Too many photographers, according to Michals, unconsciously rely on what he dubs "PC or political correctness." Stuck in a visual bind, photographers pander to the lowest common denominator and, by doing so, betray what he believes are the possibilities of the medium. Instead, Michals uses visual narratives and symbolism to convey ideas and interpretation of the human condition.

According to Michals, to illustrate grief by taking a picture of a woman crying does not aid the observer in understanding it is truly like to experience deep sadness. Instead, the photographer must help the viewer feel what the woman feels by tracing the woman's pain with photographs, text, icons, or anything else that that brings the audience closer to the actual experience. "It's the difference between reading a hundred love stories and actually falling in love," he emphasizes.

От тук.

No comments: